Pandan or screwpine leaves, also known as asian vanila is one of my favourite ingredients. They are very fragrant and taste devine. My girls and I crave pandan chiffon cake every now and then but with three kids I don't get to bake it as often as I would like to. This pandan muffin is a shortcut version. They are so easy to make, very moist and taste beautiful. They are also good for lunch box because of their "cool" green colour.
You can get the pandan paste from most asian grocer. Try to get Koepoe Koepoe brand from Indonesia which is very thick and has beautiful colour and aroma.
|pandan paste - koepoe koepoe brand|
Makes 12 muffins
2 cups self raising flour
3/4 cups castor sugar
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup milk
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp pandan paste
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) and place muffin papers in muffin tins or grease muffin tins well with butter.
- Mix flour and castor sugar.
- Combine milk, coconut milk, oil, egg and pandan paste in a separate bowl and whisk lightly.
- Pour into flour mixture and stir with a fork until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Spoon batter into muffin tins about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until slightly browned on top.
- Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes before turning out.