Pages

Monday 6 June 2011

Mandarin Almond Muffins

I love muffins. They not only taste great but are probably one of the easiest things to bake. You just need to mix the wet and dry ingredients. No electric mixer needed. I enjoy trying out new recipes with whatever is in season, what I have in the pantry or in the fridge. I tend to forget what I made before though so hopefully this blog will help me to jot down all the recipes.

Mandarin Almond Muffins
I'll start with mandarins as they are in season now and I can't stop eating them. These muffins are light and the almond flakes give them a lovely texture.

Mandarin Almond Muffins

Makes 12 muffins

Ingredients
1 ½ cups self-raising flour
½ cup castor sugar
½ cup milk
½ cup mandarin juice
½ cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1 tbsp finely grated mandarin rind
Almond flakes

Method
  • Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) and place muffin papers in muffin tins or grease muffin tins well with butter.
  • Mix flour and caster sugar.
  • Combine milk, juice, oil, egg and mandarin rind in a separate bowl and whisk lightly.
  • Pour into flour mixture and stir with a fork until just combined. Do not overmix.
  • Spoon batter into muffin tins about 2/3 full, then sprinkle with almond flakes.
  • Bake for 20-25 minutes or until browned on top.
  • Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes before turning out.
  • Enjoy.

Note
  • I wanted big muffins today so I spoon the batter into the tin almost full (made 8 muffins) and baked them for about 30 minutes.
  • I used 5 mandarins to get 1 tbsp of rind.

No comments:

Post a Comment